What You Need to Learn About Growing Mushrooms at Home
Growing mushrooms at home is not an easy task. If you take the necessary time and effort to grow your own, you must have a plan in place; otherwise, failure is possible.
Many articles are available about growing mushrooms at home, but few offer professional tips for encouragement. Let's take a look at fundamental principles you must know about mushrooms and how to grow them. That will hopefully make your journey easier!
What Is a Mushroom, and How Do They Grow?
Mushrooms are edible fungi that grow in the ground or on decaying matter. They belong to a group called Basidiomycota, and they come from two different types of spores: haploid or mitosis and diploid or meiosis. Most mushrooms need light for their growth. Depending on the strain, the growing challenge may range from simple to complex.
Why Mushrooms Are Beneficial for Your Health
Mushrooms have many health benefits. They're a leading source of vitamin D and contain B vitamins, potassium, phosphorus, and copper. Mushrooms also provide antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body - they can be beneficial for people with cancer or autoimmune disorders! Mushrooms are so beneficial because most varieties are rich in nutrients, rich in fibers, and low in calories.
How to Pick the Best Mushroom Variety to Grow
When picking a mushroom variety, be sure to consider the following:
- Color - The color will depend on its type. You can find yellow mushrooms with white gills or pink and orange varieties that are edible as well.
- Texture - Choose an interesting texture for your taste preference! Mushrooms come in many varieties. You can always find one you like better than the rest.
The Benefits of Growing Mushrooms at Home
- Mushrooms are tasty - They can be a great addition to any dish that needs some variety.
- Mushroom varieties are abundant - There are many different types of mushrooms, so they're easy to find and store in your home year-round.
How to Start Growing Mushrooms at Home
Now let's consider a few tips on how to grow mushrooms at home! Have fun with the process.
- Choose wisely - You have several choices when it comes to home mushroom growing. Some people buy a pre-assembled kit that is ready to use, while others prefer the do-it-yourself approach with an empty pot or jar. Here are two crucial growing tips on getting started and setting up your first batch of mushrooms.
- Start small - Try starting on a smaller scale first before you invest a lot of money. You'll probably enjoy the hobby, but you might as well find out first.
- Choose your growing medium - There are several options, but here a few of the most popular. An empty jar. That's a simple starting point and an excellent environment for almost all mushroom varieties.
The next step is to choose your grower's kit and set up your first batch of mushrooms! Those individuals who prefer more control over the process may be better off buying individual items to do it themselves. For people who are less interested in learning all the elements of mycology at once, a kit is a winning idea.
Looking for a mushroom supply? Contact our team at OutGrow.